One of the most important roles of California State PTA is to create and support laws that improve the lives of all California children.
OUR ADVOCACY GOAL
Represent, inform and mobilize members and the public to advocate for the education, health, safety and well-being of all children
- One billion dollars of one-time funding for family engagement
- A full curriculum which eliminates the opportunity gap and ensures all children succeed
- Increase per-pupil funding by $3,000 to move California toward the national average
Download our organizational goals flier.
VOLUNTEERS MAKE A DIFFERENCE
“Remember no matter how much fundraising you do, it will never equal the impact of one piece of legislation.” — Shayne Silva, 2015 – 2017 Director of Legislation
PTA volunteer legislative advocates representing the broad scope of the organization closely monitor pending legislation and testify at public hearings to ensure our voice is heard. The advocates include the director of legislation, state advocates, a federal advocate and consultants with specialized skills. They meet with elected officials and policy-makers, speak at meetings of the California Legislature and carefully monitor both state and federal legislation. Advocacy focus areas include education funding and policy, community and school safety, juvenile justice, child care and early education, children’s health and other issues affecting kids and youth.
Volunteer advocates also analyze statewide ballot measures and determine California State PTA’s position, based upon convention resolutions and other PTA authority.
For questions or more information about our legislative advocacy program, please contact the Director of Legislation at email@example.com.
There are several ways you can get involved in our advocacy efforts and help make a difference:
- Get informed and engaged with our Sacramento Update e-newsletter and Legislative Alerts
- Attend our annual Legislation Conference
- Contact your legislators
- Research current legislation
- Learn more about California’s state budget
- See California laws by subject area
- Check out federal legislation and policy information from National PTA
- Review PTA position statements and resolutions
- Read how PTA volunteers are giving the gift of civic engagement.